An easy way to start your seeds indoors is to use toilet paper or paper towel rolls.
There are two advantages of using toilet paper rolls. The first is that they are free. It’s likely that you already have both items available in your apartment. Ain’t no better price than free. The other is that that they can be put directly into the soil when transplanted because the cardboard will biodegrade into the soil.
What you’ll need to get your toilet paper roll seed starters made:
- Toilet paper or paper towel roll
- Duct tape
How to make a seed starter pot using a toilet paper roll:
- Cut the toilet paper roll in half using your razor and scissors.
- Take one of the halves and cut four slits about 3/4″-1″ or so up the roll.
- Fold the toilet paper roll into each other to form the bottom of the seed starter pot.
- Use tape to secure the bottom.
- To fill put your soil inside, followed by your seed and cover with more soil.
After a few weeks, when the seed is ready to be transplanted into the soil, you can undo the bottom of the toilet paper roll and stick the whole thing into the soil. The toilet paper roll will biodegrade into the soil.