When I was at the farmers market last week, I noticed rutabagas. I’d never had them before and was curious. The vendor hooked me up with one for free (gotta love the farmers market) and recommended making a soup with it. So I made one and it came out damned good.
This rutabaga soup is dairy and gluten free.
- Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 rutabaga
- 2 ribs of celery
- 1/4 medium sized onion
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Dash of sea salt
- How to make:
- Peel and cube the rutabaga
- Slice up celery and onion
- Pour olive oil over into a pan and heat up
- Add onions and sautee for a 3-4 minutes
- Add celery and sautee for another 5 mintues
- Add rutabaga and stir up for another 5 minutes or so
- Add enough veggie broth and bay leaves to cover the vegetables
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the rutabagas are soft
- When the rutabagas are soft, you can either mash everything up in the pan or put it into a blender or food processor
- Add back to the pan and stir it up
- Serve with salt and paprika
What’s your favorite rutabaga soup recipe?