Sun, Soil, Light, Pests & Timing
- Sun: Tomatoes need lots of sun, so be sure to pick a spot without too much shade.
- Water: Give your tomatoes about two inches of water every week all season, and give them extra water in the first few weeks.
- Soil: Tomatoes do best in loamy, acidic soil, and it’s a great idea to plant them in soil that can be well-drained.
- Timing: Shoot to start seeds six weeks before the Spring’s last frost
- Fertilizing: Two weeks after your first picking, is prime time for fertilizing.
- Pests: Plant some basil to ward off common tomato pests.
If you want a handy reference, check out this infographic from Sproutabl’s article on growing tomatoes.