The idea of the hanging garden planter using a soda bottle came after my unsuccessful attempts at upside down vegetable gardening.
One of my readers, Craig Stanton, left a comment saying that I should put the cap back on and grow the vegetables out of the top. That seems so obvious, but I didn’t think of it at all and they’re also easy to make.
These hanging garden planters are a great low cost way to start your own home vegetable garden. You can hang them in a window, on your balcony or anywhere that gets sunlight. I was able to put them on the rails of my fire escape garden.
- Here’s what you’ll need to make one:
- Tools and materials 2L soda bottle
- Duct tape
- Hole puncher
- Thick twine or thin rope
- Drill or something to poke hole in bottle cap
- Instructions on how to make a hanging herb planter:
- Use razor to cut off bottom third or so of soda bottle.
- Wrap duct tape around the bottom part of the soda bottle. Make sure that half of the duct tape is on the bottle and half is above it.
- Cut slits about 2-3″ apart in the duct tape and fold over.
- Punch two holes about halfway down the duct tape. Cut two more on the opposite side.
- Cut string and thread through two of the holes form the outside in. Do the same on the other side.
- Drill hole in soda bottle cap to allow for drainage and screw back on.