There was a post on The Healthy Home Economist called The Sticky Truth About Chewing Gum that got me thinking about alternatives.
That’s when it hit me, I already have some growing on my balcony garden and so can you.
Why you might want to consider popping that next piece of chewing gum
Before I get into the alternative, I want to briefly discuss some highlights of the post. Chewing gum…
- …is often made up of lots of artificial ingredients and sweeteners. GMO corn syrup is a popular one.
- …gets your stomach ready for digestion, but nothing ever makes its way down. Valuable digestive enzymes are therefore wasted.
- …a cause for a lot of stress in the jaw bone according to an oral surgeon in Dallas.
- …releases the mercury from your amalgam fillings into your body. This is even more toxic for pregnant women as the mercury makes its way down to the fetus.
The chewing gum alternative
Now that you have the reasons why you might reconsider chewing gum, check out my alternative – fresh herbs.
Yup that’s right. What’s better than chewing on some fresh mint or parsley? Nope, I’m not crazy. As with any alternative there are pros and cons. Let’s weight them.
- There are no artificial sweeteners and GMOs. It doesn’t get any more natural than this.
- If you go with the mint flavor, it will help with digestion.
- You will save money. Your herbs will last longer and be much more affordable than regular chewing gum.
- It only comes in one color – green.
- Limited flavor selection. Mint comes in spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, apple mint and pineapple mint. Parsley only comes in one flavor….parsley.
- No fun packaging and wrapping that you can put in your pocket and get stuck in the washing machine.
There it is your very own chewing gum alternative that you can grow on your own. What’s your thoughts?