Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/seedzy5/public_html/UrbanOrganicGardener.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-flickr-manager/FlickrManager.php on line 358
I received a message from Lica who checks out this blog. She lives in Brooklyn and doesn’t have any space to grow, so she’s been experimenting using hyrdoculture, not hydroponics. There is a difference and she explains it on her blog.
She contacted me, told me about what she was doing and offered to send some to me to experiment with. Always down to experiment with new things, I figga’d why not.
The package consisted of:
- A-OK Rockwool Starter Plugs
- Nutrient solutions that she kindly informed me weren’t organic and why she had them.
To get started, I also needed
- 1/2 lemon
- Gallon of water
- Seeds of my choice
- Egg carton
Since I wasn’t familiar with Rockwool and Hydrotron, I looked them up to see what the hell they were. I didn’t come across anything bad, except that you really shouldn’t handle Rockwool with barehands.
So if you know anything different about these two, please let me know.
Moving forward I am not going to use the nutrient solutions because I really don’t know what they are and will see if I can just use my manure tea.
Here is how I started the seeds:
- Cut the Rockwool cubes and placed them in a bowl of water to soak for 15 minutes.
- Squeezed the lemon into the bowl to raise the pH a little.
- Removed the Rockwool and placed each cube into the egg carton.
- Place a seed into each hole of the Rockwool.
- Set outside to germinate.
- Used water bottle to mist and keep moist.
What do you think about hydroculture?