After days of back and forth, I decided to go with copper pipe instead of the vinyl tubing in the self watering containers. Wasn’t very clear on the benefits of one over the other because read lots of pros and cons on each of them.
Came across the same articles for vinyl tubing.
Since I was going with the vinyl tiles for the insert, I felt better about choosing the copper pipe.
In shopping around for the pipe, the ranges varied greatly from $25 to $65 for uncut L copper pipe. The handyman at the hardware store said it was better suited for water.
I bought two ten foot pieces and tied them on top of my grandmothers car. Yes, I tied them. The back seats in her car don’t go down. Not sure how, but the pipes and I made it back safely. Then I went to town and cut up the pipe.
- Tools required
- Glove (I’d recommend a vice instead)
- Tape measure
- Materials required
- Copper pipe
Each of the buckets are about 13 inches, so the first pipe I marked off every 15 inches to cut off. The other pipe, I marked at about 20 inches.
The first lesson that I learned was to make sure that the hacksaw is tightened. If not, it’ll pop off.
Now I need to ration out the cut pipe to my apartment and grandmothers. Still need to figure out what I’m going to grow and where. There is that looming.